RCA Internship Opportunity
Title: Right Care Alliance Membership Intern
Time frame: June 1 – August 31, 2020 (flexible – open to earlier start date)
Location: This is a remote position, and can be based anywhere, but preference for Boston area residents
Work Schedule: Part-time (10-20 hours, flexible schedule. Preference for somebody with occasional evening and weekend availability)
This is an unpaid internship expected to last 3 months. However, depending upon the candidate, we are interested in converting this position to a paid position and extending it beyond the three months.
About the Lown Institute:
The Lown Institute is a nonpartisan think tank advocating bold ideas for a just and caring system for health. We are focused on finding a path to a radically better health system, one that gives all people a chance to be as healthy as possible, no matter who they are or where they live.
We use data to increase knowledge, and we generate big ideas that can bridge the gap between current policy solutions and the system that this country wants and needs. Our work is centered around four main topics: low-value, or unnecessary care; accountability; health equity; and healing and the human connection.
About the Right Care Alliance:
The Right Care Alliance (RCA), an initiative of the Lown Institute, is a grassroots coalition of clinicians, patients, and community members organizing to make health care institutions accountable to communities and put patients, not profits, at the heart of health care.
The Right Care Alliance seeks a part-time Intern dedicated to building our paid membership numbers and increasing our fundraising abilities. This is a part-time, temporary, unpaid internship position with a definite potential to be extended with pay for the right person.
Responsibilities will include:
The overall #1 objective of this internship is to convert our thousands of members into dues-paying members. A secondary objective is to identify other individual donors to the Right Care Alliance.
Therefore, the intern will get to explore and flex abilities in a variety of initiatives:
- Groom our existing list of active participants and persuade them to become members.
- Answer the question: who isn’t a member, but should be?
- Maintain our membership lists
- Increase membership engagement
- Organize membership drives
- Mentor, support and remind current RCA leaders to reach out to local chapter members to contribute dues
- Create and run a structured campaign to identify who are the active but unpaid members
- Create and run a structured campaign to identify members with little or no donation activity and increase their giving level
- Use EveryAction to create, track and measure campaign performance
- Coordinate with others at the Right Care Alliance and Lown Institute to ensure successful financial and performance metrics are appropriately recorded and reported.
We’re looking for someone with these characteristics:
- A warm personality that is outgoing, gregarious, and thick-skinned
- Unphased at hearing “No” from potential donors
- Digital communication skills
- Familiar with EveryAction
- Or an ability and desire to learn EveryAction independently
- Ability to communicate with people with varying backgrounds: doctors, nurses, academics, patients and others in the spectrum of healthcare)
- Passionate about social justice and health equity
- Interest in the professional fields of Development and Fundraising
- Proactive, a team player, detail-oriented, and able to work in both a remote and collaborative environment
What you get
Since we cannot promise a salary with this position, here are the connections and skills you will receive:
- You’ll meet health activists across the country with a range of interests and connections. Tell us about your goals and dreams, and we will do our best to connect you to others with shared interests.
- Your development skills of fundraising and making direct asks of others will grow.
This might be a great fit for a college or graduate level student. But if you’re not enrolled in school and you are interested, please apply!